Are you using the free version of Spotify? Wondering whether the premium version is worth the money? The free version offers a large number of cool features but does have some limits that are lifted when you upgrade. Spotify is currently enjoyed by well over 200 million monthly active users, and almost half of those pay a subscription. What we want to know is, is that subscription worth the money?
Let’s find out
What We Liked:
Spotify does have some really great features:
- Unlimited streaming
- Works on all major platforms, including iOS, Android, PC and Mac
- One of the largest music libraries of any streaming app
- Plenty of tools to help with social networking
- Works offline
- Multiple plans on offer
- Premium plan free trial
- Easy to use
Wait, there’s more
What We Didn’t Like:
Nothing is all good, and Spotify does have its downsides:
- The Free plan limits unlimited streaming to 6 months only
- The Free plan is supported by ads
- US users are not able to directly purchase DRM-free music
- Only the European app version has the radio facility
- The free version will not work offline
- US users must be invited to get a free premium trial
We’re not finished yet
Free Spotify Plan Benefits:
The free version does offer good benefits. For a start, you can stream from a choice of over 35 million tracks, but the limit is 6 months. After that, it drops to a couple of hours per week. There are ads in between some of the songs on the free version, but these are not too intrusive and, to be honest, for the casual user, it shouldn’t be an issue. Plus users get a choice of both web and mobile apps.
It gets better, though
Premium Spotify Plan Benefits:
If you are prepared to pay $10 every month, you can have an ad-free listening experience as well as truly unlimited streaming. The app will work offline and, if you have a compatible home stereo system, you can steam your Spotify music through it – fantastic for an easy afternoon’s listening or an all-night party. Plus you get much faster ‘downloads’* and exclusive access to never-seen-before content.
A word of warning
* You cannot actually download tracks and then cancel your subscription, keeping the music. By this, we mean that you can listen to the music offline, but it will remain the property of Spotify.
It gets better
Now Available – Student Discount!
Are you a student? Are you enrolled at an accredited college or university? Then take advantage of a 50% discount on a premium subscription.
For just $5 per month, you can renew for up to 3 years at that price. But it’s more than that – you also get a free package worth $19, subscriptions to both Hulu and Showtime.
It doesn’t get any better than that.
So is the premium plan worth the cost? That depends on you. If you are a casual user, not bothered by a few ads and really don’t want to get tied down to paying a subscription, then the free plan is probably your best bet. If, however, you use it all the time, want unlimited and faster downloads, offline mode and more, Spotify Premium is worth the cost. Let’s face it, for the cost of less than one album every month; you get access to more than 35 million tracks.
You won’t get that deal anywhere else.